expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Testing, Testing, 1...2...3...

Modules, Domains, Elements, Components, Rigor, Story of Units, Close Reads, CCSS, APPR, PDP, PBIS, DASA, AIS, IST...did you get all that?  It is clearly a miracle that I am not in the looney bin!  Check out the ONE module that is released for 5th grade math here.  It is 276 pages to be exact (the ONE module) and there are SEVEN modules for 4th grade (none of which have been released yet...).  Oh, did I mention that our math textbook is outdated and we just found out that next year out "textbook" will be the modules printed off online?!?  Um, IF they are released...Can you sense my enthusiasm??

Attempting to maintain some degree of sanity, I am doing the best I can with the materials I have.  Fourth grade has the ELA, math, and science state tests.  The talented, sweet Laura from Love to Teach has these amazing task cards to review for the science state exam.  I can't wait to print these out and use them for much need science review as the test gets closer.
I also have been dissecting the math CCSS and trying my best to cover where our textbook is lacking.  If I had the time, I would create my own worksheets and homework every day but I do not have the time...which is why an updated textbook would be nice to at least refer to and use for lessons, guided practice, homework, etc...
One area that our Saxon curriculum lacks in is line plots.  We use line plots with whole numbers but the CCSS states:
CCSS.Math Content.4.MD.B.4
Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit (1/2, 1/4 1/8).  Solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions by using information presented in line plots.

I wanted a fun math center activity using line plots and fractions and could not find what I was looking for.  So, I made a center over the past couple days and posted it to TPT today:)

I love the adorable pizza graphics by KPM Doodles and they worked perfectly for this center (can you say pizza party)!
I will send the Line Plots with Fractions set to the first three people to comment on this post.  Don't forget to leave your email:)  
Thanks for listening to me vent!  I feel better already:)

5 comments:

  1. Yeah! I am the first! I looked at that module and freaked out! Holy cow. Who wrote that?

    But, your line plot with fractions looks great!

    My Journey to 5th Grade

    Julie
    Jules416@att.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your line plot with fractions! Trying to get lots of fraction resources gathered together for February!
    Reyesremarkablerants at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love this! I have an upcoming lesson that could use an activity like this.
    Learning in Bliss
    marciahoj@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your unit. We are heavy into our mid-year testing.

    Thanks,
    Colleen
    wpoohck@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwww you are sooo sweet!! Thank you Holly :) One of my besties in blogging... Keep it up with the units, they are fabulous! It's hard for me to find time to create products, but it is well worth it! I just missed your line plots unit, but when I get enough money, I may just get it! :D Love you girl!

    ReplyDelete