expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Friday, October 26, 2012

Crazy Like a Fox (Similes!) and Fun Friday!

I have loved getting so many ideas in the bloggy world and this book was one of them.  I read Crazy Like a Fox to my students to introduce similes.  Fourth graders still enjoy a great picture book (do we ever outgrow them??).  I loved that the book had similes that continued onto the turn page so it left students guessing what might be the end of the sentence on the next page to complete the simile.  
Each simile had a fun, colorful illustration to go with it.  So, I had my class come up with their own similes and then write it on construction paper with an illustration.  Here are some of their simile illustrations:
 "A tennis racket on the basketball court is as useless as a shoe when you are starving."

 "The pumpkin guts are like slimy wet slugs."

 "Slugs are as slimy as an owl's pellet."

 "When babies eat cake they are as messy as hungry pigs."

 "LeBron James is as good of a basketball player as Babe Ruth was a baseball player."

"A boxer is as tough as a macho man lifting eight hundred pound weights."

I am linking up with Amanda at Teaching Maddeness for her Friday Flashback!



I am also linking up with Kelly at Teaching Fourth for Fun Friday!  You have to check out her blog:)



My students also had fun with this Halloween math FREEBIE from Making Math More Fun magazine.  Scroll down to the 23-24 pages for this game where students have to arrange the numbers into a square where each pair matches up to 13.



The early finishers worked on another freebie on the following page, "Mummy Loves 31".  It was a fun break when we had 10 extra minutes:)  

Have a great weekend everyone!

7 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book, so thanks for the post! Also, thank you SO MUCH for the shout out. I really appreciate it.

    Tina
    www.croftsclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE teaching similes!! These made me smile...I love to hear their thoughts. :) Thanks for linking up!

    Amanda
    Teaching Maddeness

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love teaching similes, too! I especially loved the student that compared babies eating cake to pigs :)

    http://bedrestedteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, I NEED that book! Thanks so much for sharing! Happy Fun Friday!

    Nichole
    Craft of Teaching

    ReplyDelete
  5. Similes is one of my favorite things to teach! I love that book. It is so much fun. Thanks for linking up again this week! You made my day!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete
  6. The book looks like a good one! I need to save that for January when we start learning about figurative language. Love those math squares too. Thanks for sharing! http://lattesnlaughter.blogspot.com/2012/10/fun-friday.html

    ReplyDelete